Sunday, May 11, 2014

Lucky Girl

Most important in my blog today...Happy Mother's Day! Take time today to honor the mothers in your lives. Moms in general are the most selfless human beings. I don't know how they do it. Just a few that I would like to give an extra shout out to are my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandma, Estella (Matt's Grandma), Kristen (my sister), Jenny, Melissa (both Matt's sisters) and Dora (Matt's brother's wife).

I saw a Facebook status this morning that said, "Thank you Mom for giving me life and then proceeding to let me keep it despite everything I did growing up." I am notoriously bad at gift giving and having the gifts on time. So to the mothers in my life, you won't be getting a gift on Mother's Day. Maybe by fourth of July?

So a little tribute to a couple of the moms in my life. First, my mom. So I've seen all these statuses of people's moms being the best moms in the world. Well, my mom isn't perfect like these moms supposedly are. My mom has faults. My mom is an actual human being and human beings make mistakes. The thing that sets my mom apart from the rest is the amount of love she has for her children. She works more than any human being I know. However, she ALWAYS has time for her children. If I call while she's right in the middle of getting a calving cow in that's having trouble, the conversation may be very brief and a touch on the yelling side, but she calls back later, apologizes for being short with me and listens to whatever it is I had to tell her. Usually, my emergencies that I call to tell her about have fixed themselves by that time, but it's the thought that counts. For example, yesterday I called her when our lawn mower ran out of gas. I'm 22 years old, married, living in our own house, 20 some odd miles away from her house, but who's the first person I call to fix the problem? My mom. So Mom, thank you for not being perfect. Thank you for pushing us to be involved in things, thank you for raising us to be adults that people actually want to be around, thank you for teaching us to work hard, thank you for teaching us the wonderful lifestyle of being on a farm and thank you for being my mom because despite the yelling matches and disagreements we have and will continue to have, I can't of asked for a more perfect mom for us three girls then you. I love you.

Next, my mother-in-law. I'm so blessed to have a wonderful mother-in-law. Margaret is so thoughtful in everything she does. She always has food for us, always has the ingredient that I don't have when I'm half way through making a recipe, always willing to help clean, paint, stain or do any other home improvement project. It's so wonderful to be so accepted into a family so shortly after being married, thanks in large part to her. She's an amazing person that deserves a day of rest and pampering. Which I hope she gets from her other children since I'm awful at gift giving. Thank you Margaret, for everything you do for me and I'm so grateful to have you for my mother-in-law.

To our sisters and sister-in-law-thank you for allowing us to be a part of your children's lives. They provide us such wonderful joy every time we see them. You guys are great moms and we look forward to watching your children grow up to be wonderful people (just like their favorite Aunt Kelsey and Uncle Matt).

So happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mothers in the world and the mothers in my life. One more very special person that I would like to appreciate today is my grandma. Yesterday was her 101st birthday. That's right 101! Maybe I should listen to her when she tells us to take care of our skin. As with anyone that age, we ought to be listening to what they are saying and writing their stories down.

My oh my I'm a lucky girl. I really do mean that though I say it with just a hint of sarcasm. So last week I started telling you about our mouse problem. Well, just about the time we think they are gone, ants show up! I don't know what it is about these animals, but our house is NOT going to be their home! Matt sprayed the kitchen (where all our problems are) and around the outside of the house before we left to go work Saturday morning. Hopefully that will deter the pesky little devils. I started to mow the yard again, but got rained out. I'm not liking how these critters keep telling me to mow the yard. But every time I do it seems to solve the problem, so we'll how it works out this time.

This week we finished up a lot of the planting. This is a picture of the planter getting filled. Each of those white boxes is filled with seed. The green wagon has bulk seed in it. Matt (in the white shirt) is using an auguring system to get the seed from the green wagon into each of the white boxes. Technology has come so far. I'm trying really hard to get action shots while things like this are happening. However, sometimes this may not be a great idea. While I was taking this picture, the cord that runs the auger got run over and ripped the wires off. Luckily Matt is such a great and wonderful fixer of all things and got Humpty Dumpty all put back together again, but I got a dirty look that something broke while I was taking a picture. I told him it was very important stuff I was doing!


I LOVE storm pictures. Storm pictures, not storms! I love storm pictures even more when there is agriculture involved in the photo. My phone doesn't do this justice. It was a beautiful sight!

If you squint your eyes just right, you can see two drills running. We were trying to beat the storm to get this drilled. We were drilling a mixture of grass, peas and sudex. The cows will graze it when it comes up. The goal is never to have to feed cows hay. In our climate that isn't feasible, but by drilling things like this, it makes it a little easier.

We started a stream bank project this week. This includes a LOT of work and heavy equipment. This is the scraper and the hoe behind it. A lot of soil has to be moved and relocated. The hoe loads the scraper, then the scraper takes the soil to the other location to dump. Then something else pushes that soil into a ditch or levels it out. A lot of work and a lot of man power goes into fixing this.

This is just a farther away picture of the scraper and hoe. 

More storm pictures. 

My recipe of the week is pumpkin butterscotch muffins. This is a really bad picture, but they are very tasty. I got this recipe from a friend of mine. My grandma loves them so I made them for her birthday and mother's day gift.

Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins:
1 package yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1 package butterscotch chips
1 can pumpkin

Mix it all together and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.


Happy Mother's Day! Hope you have an awesome week!






No comments:

Post a Comment