Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Grandma, Dad and Life

Okay, so I'm still here and still planning on blogging, but life has interfered.

At the beginning of June, I spent a couple days at my parents cleaning out my old room so my Grandma could move in. She was there for just over a week when it was decided to take her to the hospital due to her being weak. She went with the full intention of returning to mom and dad's. Her lungs and around her heart started filling with fluids. When it was clear she wasn't getting better, we took her to my parents to love and take the best care of her that we could with the help of Holton Community Hospice (who are fantastic!) She was in the hospital for about a week. I spent most of the nights with her and will cherish the memories. She passed away Sunday, June 28th around 2:34 in the afternoon. I will post a blog later about my memories of Grandma.

So we had that going on in our lives. Just in case we hadn't spent enough time in hospitals and our emotions weren't crazy enough. Sunday night, we took my dad to the Onaga hospital. He had been acting odd. All weekend Mom was planning on getting him an appointment Monday. However, when he told her he fell in the shower a couple times, it was time to go that night.

A scan showed that he had blood on his brain so he was immediately shipped back to Topeka to the hospital. He had surgery on Monday to drain the blood. They were planning on him being able to be home to go the funeral on Friday. He didn't get the drain out until Friday morning. He made it to the lunch. He's going back in a couple weeks to see if the fluid is gone and staying gone. Hopefully, it will take care of itself now. He won't be able to do any farm work for quite some time.

It's of course a busy time on the farm as well. Wheat got cut this week, straw baled behind it, brome seed is being cut, hay to bale, more to drill, fertilizer to spread and of course the cows to still keep up with. Individual blogs about all these at some point is my goal.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say I'm still here and apologize for my lack of blogs. Hopefully, more to come this week even if it's not on Sunday, the scheduled blog day!

No comments:

Post a Comment