Sunday, February 23, 2014

I Love Being in Love

Little Big Town's song, "Sober", sums up my feelings this week. Coming off a not so great week last week, this week was GREAT! I'm told that all good blogger have a nickname for their husbands. I don't think Matt would appreciate the one I've called him in the past going public so I'm going with "my Forever". I realize that we've only been married a few months so I'm still absolutely enamored with him, but he is my Forever and ever. We vowed to be together until death do us part. He will forever love me, infuriate me, make me laugh, make me cry, make me very angry, and make me very very happy. So I've coined the nickname, "my Forever" for Matt. I guess I'm now considered a good blogger since I have a nickname for my husband. If only it was that easy!

So my week started off not so great last Sunday after posting my blog. My niece, Autumn, was back visiting Grandma while her parents were looking at a sprayer. I went down to my parents' house to spend time with her. While I was down there her fever spiked, so we took her to the hospital. She was diagnosed with influenza. As long as she was kept on Tylenol so her fever stayed down, she was happy. She's all fixed and very healthy now. Now I think Matt's side is getting sick. Hopefully everybody gets over it quick!

Monday Matt and I spent quality time together repairing one of the haybusters. The shaft that actual tears up the hay broke while Matt was running it. Thankfully, my Forever is good at fixing things so we got Humpty Dumpty put together again to running condition. It's now working wonderfully! Yeah to him for fixing it!

I apologize for these sideways photos. I'm working on getting them right.
This is my Forever working his magic on the haybuster. He's so talented!


Next exciting thing for this week-we had twin calves! All producers do things differently, some pull one of the twins off and some keep both on the cow. It depends on how much milk the cow has, how much time the producer has to spend with the twins to make sure they are both eating, etc. Luckily, our cow is taking care of both of them. When cattle are raising twins, they require some special care. Better feed, more of it, etc. This is because they are raising two! Works the same way for humans, I'm sure. We'll ask the twin expert (Matt's sister, Jenny) about what it feels like to raise twins. The cow and two babies are doing well and are turned out with the rest of the cattle.

One on each side. We have worked with the twins to make sure that
both of them knew how to suck. It's important to ensure that both are eating well. 


Being on a farm is fun and eventful. Everyday is doing something new and different. With as many cattle as we have there is sure to be entertainment to find everywhere. One of our bulls has a knack of getting his head caught in things. This week he decided to carry around an old mineral feeder. Matt's philosophy is that he's a good junk picker-upper. He'll help clean up the farm. Whatever works I suppose. It's hard to take a bull serious when he's carrying around an old mineral feeder.

Matt and I laughed for a long time. Then I helped him get it off. 


During the harvest off season a lot of producers haul the grain they harvested and stored in their bins. Marketing grain is a very tricky thing that almost requires a professional, but that's a whole other blog topic. So Henry has been hauling grain to empty the bins so they are ready for harvest next fall. My dad and sister are also hauling grains to fill contracts. When the bins are almost empty, a sweep auger is put in to help clean the grain out.

This is the auger dumping grain into the truck used to haul the grain away.
Matt is watching to make sure it doesn't run over.

This is the whole series of everything involved in hauling grain.
The bin is what stores the grain, the tractor runs the PTO that
gets the grain up the auger, the actual auger and then the truck
to haul the grain to the elevators.

This is inside a bin. When is gets to the bottom, the sweep auger
gets the grain out. The we sweep the grain to the center so none of it
is left in the bin. 


The last really exciting part of this amazing week that has made me extremely thankful for my family, new and old, and made me fall much much much deeper in love with my Forever is new paint in our house. My oldest sister Kristen and my mother-in-law Margaret helped me paint our bedroom and hallway and staircase. Our bedroom is now purple, hallway teal-ish and stairway white. I absolutely love our bedroom and stairway, the hallway I'm not so sure about, but hopefully it will grow on me. I'm so very blessed with amazing family.

This is the before photo of our room.

The during. My sister is on the left and mother-in-law on the right.

My Forever even got involved in painting!

The after photo! So much better!!!!

Our hallway. I'm not for sure if I like it or not?
Hopefully it will grow on me.



And one last tiny bit of news for our family-Kristen is pregnant!! Due in September. Autumn is going to be a big sister and excited about it for now. Not sure she really understands that after September she won't have everybody's full attention. 

So not much about agriculture this week, sorry! It's been a hectic week! The best I have for a recipe is the roast I made and that wasn't that exciting. Haven't done much cooking this week and forgot to take a picture of the roast that I made. 

What I did with the roast was thaw it in the refrigerator, put it in the crockpot with seasoning from a family friend in North Carolina, with just a little water and cook on high for about 4-5 hours. Matt really likes them and they are fairly care-free. If anybody needs help making Pillsbury cookie dough, or packaged biscuits or box potatoes, I can help you with that. Otherwise, can't help you much with cooking this week. 

"I love being in love, it's the best kind of love, drunk on a high leaning on your shoulder, sweet like a wine as it gets older, when I die, I don't wanna go sober." I'm so in love with my Forever. He's been an amazing husband this week and I'm so thankful I've found him. But ssshhh don't tell him, he'll get big headed. 

I encourage you all to take a moment this week to say thank you and love you to somebody in your life. Appreciate the little moments in life and be thankful for every day that we're given. Have a wonderful week and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment