Sunday, March 30, 2014

Life is Bumpy and We Don't Always Get Air Ride Seats

Life is very, very unfair. This week is definitely one of those weeks in my family's lives. This week's blog is going to be less about agriculture and more a tribute to the women in my life. So if you're looking for agriculture, skip this week and read the next one. 

I've had the title of this blog saved in a draft form for several weeks now. I've thought about using is several times, but it has never felt right. This past week I've heard a lot of blood drives being advertised and felt the need to donate. I've never donated before and always felt a little bad, but not as guilty as I did this week. 

With this being said, bad news came to our family Thursday night. My oldest sister, Kristen, due in October, started bleeding, the start of a miscarriage. She ended up going back to the hospital Friday night and had to have surgery. My mom went out to be with Kristen's husband, Levi and to help Kristen. She's doing much better. She came home Saturday afternoon and is recovering, very tired, but recovering. Kristen had two transfusions of blood before going home since she lost so much. Coincidence that I felt the need to give blood so strongly this week? Coincidence I've not used the blog title before this week? Don't ignore the feelings you get, call the person you're thinking of, send a letter or email to the friend you haven't talked to in a long time.

Kristen is such a strong woman and getting stronger. When I called her on Friday, I started crying. She told me, "It wasn't meant to be. There will be future chances." She went on to tell me that God had different plans. To say her faith is MUCH stronger than mine is an understatement. The brave and confident way she is mourning the loss of their child is heroic to say the least. She and her family are confident that God has different plans for their child and needed the small one in heaven more than we needed baby here.

As sisters we fought A LOT growing up (and I'm sure we will have more fights in the future), but I can confidently say that she has become one of my heroes seeing her go through this experience. Kristen isn't blaming anything for causing it, but rather accepting God's plan for her life. If everyone approached even small problems the way that her family is approaching this huge loss in their lives, I can only imagine how much better of a place this world would be. Kristen, Levi and Autumn I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. You have such a great and supporting family on both sides that love you if you need anything. Anyone of us would be willing to do anything for you at anytime. We're here for you.

The next woman I would like to take a moment to thank and appreciate is my other sister, Kayla. She helps my mom and dad and without her I'm not sure they could continue with their farming operation and definitely not the scale they are. She's here everyday working. Kayla has missed several events and family stuff because she's helping here. Having Kayla here allowed Mom to be able to go to Abilene during her busiest calving time. I don't think Mom has ever left home during calving season before. She was able to go be with one of her daughters during a very tough time because Kayla knows how to take care of all the cows and is here to watch them. With Dad's help with feeding Kayla is more than able to direct me in helping her and is making sure that everything gets done and the cattle are well cared for it. Thank you Kayla for helping the way you do.

Next, we have my mom. I'm so blessed with a mother that loves all of her daughters more than she loves herself. For someone that wasn't going to have children, she's an amazing mother. She works harder than any woman I know. Mothers in general often go un-thanked. My mom is no exception. So thank you Mom. Thank you for the sacrifices you make. Thank you for the time you take for us. Thank you for always cleaning our houses when you come to visit us. Thank you for yelling at us growing up and for giving us punishments, because it made us the amazing women we are today. The women that get you so many compliments. We take after you, Mom. Thank you and I love you.

Next, my mother-in-law. Not sure there is a more thoughtful person out there. Always thinking about what she can do for somebody else, how she can help take make Matt and I's house from the bachelor pad he made it to a forever home for us. She thinks of the little things that most don't think of. Flowers to Kristen in the hospital, supper to us after a long day of work, buying pop for the guys even when she claims she won't, taking care of her father and mother-in-law and the list goes on and on. Margaret  is always available to her children that are moving, anytime anybody is painting she is there, and always always always she has food ready and available to eat. 

My 100 year old grandmother deserves a paragraph of her own. I grew up with an older grandmother than most, but that never stopped us from staying with her. She can make macoroni and cheese better than anyone I know. I wish we could count how many quilts she has made in her lifetime. I have one for every year of my life, as do my sisters. That's over 65 right there for just us three girls. She's an amazing woman that raised 3 wonderful children, one of which was my mom. Thank you Grandma and I love you.

My last group of women is those of you that have had miscarriages. You are heroes. If I feel this way as an aunt, I can't imagine how you feel as mothers. You're the ones carrying those children, the ones that are sharing your bodies to create a human life. For God to take that baby WAY earlier than we had planned, is unfair, but apparently in God's plan. I'm sorry for your losses. 

No recipe this week. Instead of cooking one night this week, I encourage you to stick a frozen pizza in the oven, use paper plates so you don't have to do dishes and simply be with your families. Talk to each other, let everyone know just how much you appreciate them. Don't worry about the laundry that needs done, the paperwork or the big project you have at work. Simply be with your family. Love them, tell them you love them. Life is much too short, take a night to let everyone in your family know just how much you appreciate and need them. 

When I ask Matt if he loves me, he says, "every day". I love every time he says it. Love EVERY day. Not just the days you want to love or when we're being lovable, but EVERY day. And tell the people in your life that you love them EVERY day not just the good ones or the bad ones, but the average ones that we don't remember. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, take advantage of today and...

Love EVERY day.

No comments:

Post a Comment