Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter

Happy Easter! Hope everybody is enjoying the holiday and spending time with their families. Remember the true reason for the holiday isn't hunting Easter eggs or the Easter bunny. 

I have a lot of pictures this week, so I think I'll explain the pictures and have a shorter blog this week so you can spend time with your families instead of reading my blog. 


The Herefords have started calving. I checked them a couple times this week on Red.
Since we're feeding the horses, they ought to be used occasionally so they're kept in shape.
Another reason we've been checking the cows on the horses is to get them used to horses.


Such a beautiful view. Horses are great stress relievers. 

My dear Forever grew up on a horse. I did not. We always had horses, but rarely road them. We went horse shopping when I was young. I was riding double on one of the horses we were looking at and my middle older sister, Kayla, neglected to mention a tree. It knocked me off and gave me a concussion. Therefore, I've always been somewhat scared of horses. I love riding them, but am not very skilled. I'm learning and being taught how to correctly ride. An ongoing process.

So yes that's a hair clip in his hair. In his other hand is a pair of scissors. Apparently there was an incident involving the top of a barn door and my dear Forever's head. He didn't trust my analysis of what it looked like so he is trying to clip his hair out of the way so that he can see it for himself. Then when that didn't work he decided he needed to cut just that portion of his hair. Luckily, I confiscated the scissors before he made it very far. 

Okay, Matt has figured out by now that when I get out my phone I'm taking a picture for my blog. So when I got out my phone out to take this picture of Henry and Matt on Burt and Red getting the cattle in, Matt started waving really big and saying, "Ooooo, get me, get me in the picture". He makes me laugh.

And yes that's him on top of a really tall building of ours. When the wind was blowing really hard, the tin on the roof started coming off, so my dear husband crawls up this building and starts putting screws in. The problem? Him getting down. He started yelling at Henry and I when he was ready to get down. I was half tempted to leave him up there.


Working on the fence some more. Almost done!
All done! Or basically done. Ready to turn the cows out!

There isn't much more satisfying in the ag industry to me then cattle being turned out on green grass in the spring. Such a satisfying experience for cattle and human. 


Adoption time on the Pagel Farm. I know no cattle producer that has ever had a 100% calf crop. Therefore, adoptions happen. This is a Holstein calf from a local dairy that got put on this heifer. They took to each other right away. It doesn't always happen like that. Sometimes it takes several days of working with the cattle to get them to take each other. It's always nice when they take each other right away. 

More cattle being turned out. Such a beautiful sight. Sunset in the background. 

Our beautiful house with blooming bushes just in time for Easter. 

Our first tulips are blooming. Just in time for Easter dinner at our house. 

My mother-in-law and her mother-in-law (Matt's Grandma) getting ready for Easter. Margaret helped me decorate cupcakes and some coking to get ready. Estella folded all my clothes for me. So thankful for a fantastic family on my side and my new family. 

The finished cupcakes! Not the fanciest, but they're going to taste yummy!

My project I've been wanting to get done since we got married. Matt and I wrote our own vows for our wedding. We didn't hear each other's until during the ceremony. His made me cry so I wanted a way to remember them and see them everyday so we don't forget them and live out what we vowed we were going to. I'm not a creative person, therefore, I'm super excited that this turned out as well as it did!

My recipe this week is a dish I made for our family Easter tomorrow. My mom made this while we were growing up. It's easy and simple and GREAT!

Pistachio Salad

2 containers of whipped cream (8 oz size)
2 boxes of pistachio pudding
2 cups peanuts
2 cups marshmallows
1 can 32 oz fruit cocktail

Mix the whipped cream and pudding mix together. Stir in the peanuts, marshmallows and drained fruit cocktail. Refrigerate until serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment