Sunday, August 10, 2014

Apple Pie

Sunday again?! So soon? Back to my phone camera to see what we did this week so I know what to blog about. Well, apparently we have done nothing this week.

I have exactly three pictures on my phone. The first is of the streambank project we've been working on for quite some time. We have some land next to a creek. The creek was hitting the bank and washing it out. Meaning it was cutting into the farm ground and washing soil away. Being environmentally aware, like most farmers are, we decided to do something about the problem. What it detailed is a lot of time, money, rock and labor. It's been a lot of moving dirt, sloping and spreading seed and straw to cover the seed so that the seed grows on the streambank so it doesn't erode away anymore. I think we're ALMOST finished. It seems like we've been almost finished for about two months now, but I really think we're about there.

The only other picture I have this week is something I'm incredibly proud of. I don't bake often and when I do it normally doesn't turn out just quite right. We have 2 1/2 apple trees. I see all the apples and think what a waste it is to just let them go bad so one day this week I got very motivated and made 2 apple pies and another apple dessert. Homemade apple pies, crust and everything. For me, this is a major accomplishment! For all those women (like our Grandmas) who made pies all the time, they are my heroes. It took me over two hours to pick, wash, peel, cut, mix, knead, roll out dough, make the filling and bake the pies! How these women did it all the time is WAY beyond me. The final product turned out pretty good. A little ice cream to cover up some of the imperfections never hurt anyone right? 




That's all I've got for this week. Hope everybody is enjoying the rain we got and hope you have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment