Sunday, August 3, 2014

Little Bit of Everything

This week we spent a lot of time weaning calves. This means a lot of pipe corrals. Not all the open ends are plugged. Meaning during wasp and hornet season they build their nests inside them and then when someone goes to open the gate next to it they all come flying out and sting you. Apparently Matt is exceptionally delicious to them because he's gotten stung about 5 times in the last week, if not more. So upon getting fed up with them stinging him and him not having the wasp and hornet spray to kill them with, he takes the only weapon he has (the broom for the cattle) and starts beating the fence and trying to kill them with a broom. I wish my reaction time was much faster to have taken a video because it was quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time. I did get a picture, though not an action picture. This was mid swing. He said he got them all, but I'm not quite sure.

Add caption
I haven't talked a lot about crops recently. This next picture is a picture of a corn field. I'm holding an ear of corn. The next picture down I'm pointing at a silk. (Ignore the chipped nail polish). For each kernel of corn there is a silk that feeds it. That's why on sweet corn, when you peel it, there are so many silks. One for each kernel of corn. That amazes me every time-that corn grows from one of those little kernels of corn in the first place to a big tall (over 6 foot) corn stalk and grows a whole ear of corn, with a silk to each kernel is simply amazing to me. The process of growing crops is an amazing process and I'm blessed enough to be involved in it everyday. I encourage each of you, if given the opportunity, to go tour a farm and see all this happening for yourselves. Have a farmer talk you through the process, see and feel the corn for yourself, ask the questions you have. Please go do it. It's an amazing opportunity to get to tour a farm.



There are so many things that can go wrong with crops and so many things that need to be done during short windows of time. Most producers have an agronomist. This is ours (on the right). Jason is an agronomist that scouts the crops and tells Matt when they need to be sprayed, with what, and during what period of time. In this photo (Matt on the left, Henry in the middle and Jason on the right) they are doing a guess of what the yield is going to be on the corn field. There are formulas that Jason follows to know how to do this. Farmers are like knowing everything they can about their crops. It's like their children in a way. 

And speaking of children. This is our twin nephews. Matt has Greyson, Henry in the background has Granger. Matt was very happy when Jenny dressed Greyson in grey. After babysitting the twins for about an hour and half before Grandma got home from her meeting, we have decided it will be a LONG time yet before we have children.

But the child we do have (our puppy-correction MY puppy) is growing. Bad picture I know, but this is how she was sleeping-hind legs straight in the air and one paw over her eyes blocking out the little bit of light in the room. She's about 4 1/2 months old now and still has a long ways to go before she's out of puppyhood. She still has those beautiful blue eyes so I'm thinking they aren't going to change. I'm hoping not anyway. She enjoys chasing her tail, digging in the dirt and apparently bobbing oranges. We came to my parents for Sunday evening dinner. Abilene gets to hang out with their dog JJ. My mom uses an ice cream pail to water JJ. Well, from somewhere dear miss Abilene finds an old orange, drops it into the pail of water and proceeds to bob for it. This entertains her for a good 5 minutes, which doesn't sound like a lot, but for a puppy it's a lifetime. 


That's about all I've got for this week. Hope you enjoy. As usual if you have any questions, please let me know. I changed the comment section so anybody can comment. Let me know if it doesn't work for some reason or another. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment