Sunday, May 17, 2015

In the Blink of the Eye-Dad's Accident

How fast things happen...in the blink of an eye everything can change. This week Matt and I have been doing a fair amount of fighting. Stuff that I think are such a big deal, really aren't. I always think of two things when Matt and I fight. 1. Lierz' Philosophy of Life. My FFA advisor and huge role model in my life taught us with his Philosophy of Life the reason we get mad about anything is because our expectations aren't met. This is always true when I'm mad at Matt. I expect him to do something or not just do it, but do it my way and we he doesn't I get mad. The second thing I think of is something Dara, my FSA co-worker, told me towards the end of the time that I was working there. I was complaining about something Matt did or didn't do and she told me some advice that she was given one time. Growing up mothers are their little boys cheerleaders...everything they do is wonderful and right. They are always cheering them on, no matter what they do. Men grow up with their mothers always telling them good job and how wonderful they are. Then they get married. Wives, or maybe it's just me, are constantly nagging and tearing their husbands down. Rather than being the cheerleader that they are used to, they are now given somebody that is constantly telling them they are doing something wrong. Another thing I think about is one of my classmates, Adam, that was killed our junior year in a car accident. Everything can change so quickly and most of the things that I choose to fight with Matt about are inconsequential. While I work the long hours with Matt, I'm not making the thousands of dollar decisions that he is. I simply do what he says. I don't have the stress that he and his father and every other farmer out there has. I try to remind myself that I need to be understanding and patient rather than questioning and doubtful. That approach would get me so much farther than the way I currently use. Matt, I love you and I'm sorry that I nag and I really appreciate everything that you do. 

Today, my mom called me to tell me that my dad had been in a four wheeler wreck. Mind you, this is the man that drives at least 20 miles below the speed limit at all times, always is yelling at us about going too fast and to be very careful on loose gravel. Nobody was with him or around him when the wreck happened so we don't know for sure, but the guess is that he hit the loose gravel that was wet and went for quite a tumble. I haven't seen the four wheeler, but I hear it's done. Dad went in the ambulance to Topeka to the hospital. After doing a CT scan they don't find any broken bones or anything else. He's complaining about his lower back hurting, but that could be just being in a wreck. He's very very fortunate. It could be much much worse. He's staying in the hospital overnight for observation, but hopefully will be able to come home tomorrow. 

It always seems that when I get shallow and Matt and I are fighting there's something that comes along that reminds me that it's not that important. As a human, I'm not perfect but I'm going to try to be a better wife and daughter. 

Be very careful as you go about your daily activities. Don't get complacent in your habits that you forget to be careful. Everything can change so fast! Be thankful for what you have and the blessings in your life. 

There will be an update next week on Dad's status. Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and hoping your Dad will be OK soon. Your blog is so good.
    Mrs Shupe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying all will be ok with your Dad!! Love you, John and Ronda

    ReplyDelete